CCC Professional Development Seminars: "Mindfulness"
Friday, December 7, 2018
9:00am - 4:00pm (full day option)
9:00am - 12:00pm (morning session only)
1:00pm-4:00pm (afternoon session only)
Location: Stearns Center, Room G12 420 Huntington Ave. Northeastern University, Boston, Ma
Morning session - Using Mindfulness to Handle Stress: A Workshop for You and Your Clients
Just in time for the busy holiday season, and the end of the academic semester! Perhaps we can admit that we often race through our days, and so do our students/clients. There seems to be a constant uptick in the pace of our culture and the pressures we face in everyday life. This can quickly lead to an increase in stress, to levels that aren’t exactly good for us.
But thankfully there are some other trends emerging that offer ways of dealing with stress. For one thing, as Time magazine puts it, we are witnessing a “Mindful Revolution.”
During this workshop we’ll talk a little bit about how stress affects us. Then we’ll share tips to help our clients, and ourselves, to reduce our stress using mindfulness practices and positive psychology strategies.
The aim of this session is for it to be collaborative, engaging and practical. We want to leave you with fresh ideas to help you understand your stress and build resilience to reduce its impact on your life, ideas you can easily pass along to students, clients and maybe even family and friends.
Afternoon session - Holistic & Mindfulness Practices:Integrating Creative Approaches into Career Advising
Are you looking for new and creative ways of working with your students and clients? Have you noticed the rise of, as Time magazine puts it, “The Mindful Revolution”? During this seminar participants will have the chance to practice with some new tools on yourself, and learn mindfulness-based and creative techniques to use during your career counseling appointments and workshops.
Tools and Topics will include:
- Mindfulness – What is it and how can it help alleviate the stress that our students / clients face in the job search and career decision making process?
- Get a Boost From Your Past & The Power of Positive Thinking – Gratitude journals, affirmations and setting intentions can help when you are feeling a lack of hope, or just want a powerful boost for your job search.
- Visualization Exercises – Pro athletes use visualization techniques to imagine their performance in a game or event, before it happens. Interview candidates can tap this valuable technique too!
- Face Your Fear, Free Your Energy (in the Job Search) – Explore your worst case scenario and face those fears, as a means to getting unstuck and freeing up that energy that is being wasted on worry. More details in this blog post.
- Wellness Strategies – in addition to the career or job search “homework” or next steps you offered to your clients, perhaps you’d like to integrate a bit of focus on their wellbeing was well?
- Bulls Eye Exercise – An insightful and comprehensive tool for career and job decision making, especially helpful for when you are torn between two options.
Sabrina Woods is a Holistic Career Coach & Linkedin Trainer in private practice with 15+ years’ experience in the career services field at Harvard, Northeastern and the University of London. She regularly facilitates workshops and train-the-trainer sessions on topics ranging from the Meyers Briggs and Mindfulness to Networking and Salary Negotiation. Sabrina's workshops combine her insights, enthusiasm and infectious energy for maximum engagement. As a personal coach, she often draws on mindfulness practices and positive psychology principles to help her individual clients through their career transitions. When she’s not coaching or teaching, you can find her biking, meditating or, on a rainy day, baking brownies. For more info: www.sabrina-woods.comor www.linkedin.com/in/sabrinawoods.